Friday, March 23, 2012

Quinoa & Kale Salad

I was introduced to kale when I was a teenager in the '80s.  Used to see it on display in the salad bar at Sizzlers.  Hahaha!  Boy, did it come a long way!  Today, I see it in soups, salads, casseroles, even in smoothies! Had no idea it's such a versatile green vegetable.  And highly nutritious. I can get into the specifics of kale's beneficial nutrients.  But I don't want to bore you.  Just know it is high in antioxidants,  has tons of vitamins & minerals, considered a super food as it has anti-cancer fighting agents and helps lower blood cholesterol levels.  Should be enough to convince you it's super good for you, right?

I've even learned to eat it raw.  I've incorporated it in my salads and smoothies.  And have made kale chips!    Hey, maybe one day I'll come up with kale brownies.  Hmmm, off to the kitchen I go to experiment!  And I'm not kidding either.  Ask Ray and my teens.  They'll tell you how I'm ALWAYS in the kitchen.  ;-)

Here's one recipe that is so easy. 

- 10 kale leaves (w/stems removed, thinly chopped,)
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 1/4 of a purple cabbage
- soaked & cooked organic quinoa
- Himalayan sea salt & cracked black pepper
- organic apple cider vinegar
- macadamia nut oil or EVOO
- dash of Zsweet (or any other natural sweeteners)

Chop by hand.  Or run in your food processor.  So much easier.  Mix all the ingredients.  You can adjust to your liking.  Voila!  You've got a simple, healthy, delicious salad.  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment